A Guide to Staying Sane

I had no idea that Shanghai had a 'corniche' until I stumbled upon it one evening when I was desperately trying to find somewhere to run in Shanghai.
My previous runs hadn't gone well. My first jog out along Jianguo Lu felt like watching an extended version of the hideously bad Marley and Me: first I thought I was going to die, and not long after that I was praying that I would. There’s something about smog, traffic and the constant running-of-red-lights by all manner of vehicles that detracts from the endorphin high that running offers.
My next effort out along Zhaojiabang Lu ended with me being backhanded by a woman who was hailing a cab (doesn’t anybody look where they’re going in this town?).
I gave up for a bit, but it wasn’t long before my agitation had me convinced that black lung was better than the black dog. So this time I headed South and not too long after setting out, I found it: a long, curved strip of paved sidewalk, adjacent to water and plastered with no cycling signs. It was also, by Shanghai standards, pleasantly isolated. Going by the number of Expo placards in the area, I think this new development is part of the associated ‘better city, better life’ campaign. I couldn’t agree more.
Miss G

Nary a soul in sight


Industrial Art

More Industrial Art

This 'reflection area' had piped music and free bathrooms. What more could you ask for?

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! Keep it up ladies!

    xoxo

    E & F
    http://www.withlovefromshanghaixoxo.blog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Miss G, looks like you found the still point of the turning world (to horribly misquote TS Eliot) it's so peaceful! xx

    ReplyDelete